- (1 Pound) Pork Sausage: Andouille (smoked)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lb. Andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup green bell pepper, minced
1 cup celery, minced
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1/2 lb. okra, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups uncooked long grain rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat the olive oil in a medium-large pot, over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer it to a bowl and set aside.
2) Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in flour. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture becomes dark brown and has a nutty aroma, 5 to 10 minutes.
3) Add onion, garlic, pepper, celery, bay leaves and creole seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in stock, add the okra, tomatoes, rice and Andouille sausage.
4) Bring heat to high and, once the soup boils, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the rice is fully cooked and the mixture has thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
5) Discard the bay leaves, ladle soup onto bowls or mugs and serve, garnishing with cayenne pepper or more of the Creole seasoning.
Recipe by Ana Tapioca • @globalcomfy • (910) 585-1341